Latest Update: How to Prepay 2017 Property Taxes Before December 31, 2017

In light of the recent tax reform, federal deductions for state and local taxes and real estate taxes may be decreased. Depending on your personal situation, it may be beneficial for you to prepay 2017 property taxes before year-end by December 31, 2017 in order to fully deduct the taxes. These new changes will take effect under H.R. 1, known as the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which both houses of Congress passed on December 20, 2017.

Under the act, individuals are allowed to deduct up to $10,000 ($5,000 for married taxpayers filing separately) in state and local income or property taxes if they are itemizing deductions. Therefore, prepaying property taxes before this change takes effect may be the most economical choice for you.

How to Prepay 2017 Property Taxes Before December 31, 2017

Prepaying Property Taxes: Instructions for DuPage and Surrounding Counties

DuPage County

The minimum payment is $100, and the maximum payment that can be made is 105% of last year’s taxes. Indicate your PIN on the check, and mark your envelope “Prepayment” for proper processing. All checks must be received by 4:30 pm on December 29, 2017. Mail to: DuPage County Treasurer, 421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187.

Kane County

Fill out the attached application for prepayment and remit payment to the Kane County Treasurer by 4:00 pm December 29, 2017. The form and payment have to be physically delivered to the Kane County Treasurer’s Office. You cannot mail it, email it or send it in electronically.

Cook County

Request a prepayment bill from the Cook County Treasurer’s office by early December that includes your mailing address and PIN. Requests can be emailed or mailed to: Cook County Treasurer, Attention Prepayments, at 118 North Clark Street, Room 112, Chicago, IL 60602. Participants can pay the first installment of their 2017 Cook County real estate taxes, which is 55% of their final 2016 real estate taxes paid in 2017. Payments can be made online, or by mail. Make checks payable to the Cook County Treasurer. Check should include your name, address, PIN, phone number, email address and  “prepayment” in the memo line. Prepayment must be postmarked by December 31st, 2017. Checks can be brought to the Cook County Treasurer’s office or mailed to: P.O. Box 805438, Chicago, IL 60680.

Kendall County

The Kendall County Treasurer’s Office will begin taking prepayments of the 2017 Property Taxes after 12:00 pm December 22nd. Taxpayers will be able to pay an amount equal to one installment or their entire 2017 Property Tax, amount rounded up to the nearest $100. Taxpayers must come into the Treasurer’s Office to make their payment and sign the Prepayment Application form. They will not accept mailed payments. The Treasurer’s Office will only accept Cash or Check—no Debit or Credit cards. The Treasurer’s Office is open 8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, but will be closed December 25th for Christmas. All payments must be made in our office by December 29th 4:30 pm.

Will County

Prepayments can be made by mail or in person. Make check out to “Will County Collector”, and be sure to include a notation stating the check is a prepayment for 2017 taxes that are due in 2018, as well as your PIN. They may assess a processing fee of up to $2, be sure to make the check $2 more than you would like to pay. Prepayment must be postmarked or submitted in person by December 31st, 2017. Mail to the following address: Will County Treasurer’s Office, 302 N Chicago St, Joliet, IL 60432.

Lake County

Checks made out to the Lake County Treasurer can be mailed between December 1 and December 29, 2017 only. Payments cannot be higher than current year’s tax amount, and the PIN needs to be noted on the checks as well as “Prepayment” on the check and envelope. They will only refund taxes if prepayment is higher than the amount due. Mail to: Lake County Treasurer, 18 N County Street, Room 102, Waukegan, IL 60085. 

We can help! Each taxpayer’s financial situation is different, so please contact Klein Hall CPAs to see if prepaying these taxes makes sense for you.